Sunday, June 15, 2008

One Window at a Time


Today I washed my kitchen window. 

Seems kind of lame when I see myself type those words, but that is my accomplishment for the day. One of my goals before summer is over is to get all the windows in the house washed. But the way the "lazies" have kicked in, I don't feel a bit motivated to do a window-washing marathon or tackle any other big project for that matter. Each day of the summer seems to fill itself up with exercise class, cooking, dishes, laundry, and going to the kids' baseball games. I'm loving the chance to curl up every afternoon with a good book and my two dogs.

It really isn't like me to be content with such slow paced days. What has gotten into me? You could say that I have "evolved" and matured to the point that I'm able to savor the little blessings in each day. It's more likely because spring at our house was filled with undertakings like painting the kitchen and the frenzy of cleaning out the basement, I'm burned out on big projects for now. 

I can't ignore my list though...it's the piece of notebook paper filled with projects I hoped to get accomplished  over the summer; things there doesn't seem to be any time for during the school year. Every couple days I make myself check the list and find something constructive to accomplish and check off.

So today I grabbed my new bottle of mint-scented window cleaner that I bought during a recent shopping binge at Target (no that wasn't on The List) I climbed up on the kitchen counter and tackled that dusty window that was speckled and spotted from months of rain and sink splatters. When I got done, the window looked amazing. I even vacuumed the window screen, and it was amazing how clean and clear the view of the back yard had become.

Did I continue on, and tackle another grimy window in another room? Nah. That was enough for one day. I dabbed a little window cleaner on my wrists and behind each ear and headed for the couch on the porch.

1 comment:

Iowa State Fans said...

You're so funny :) Tomorrow is my last day :( I am sad and thankful all at the same time......it really hasn't sunk in that this is THE LAST DAY.....I went to lunch with Laura, Ann, and Sharon and that was nice......

I hope we can do lunch again soon (my treat, remember) :)