Saturday, June 6, 2009

Packing Up



My school district is going through a big year of changes....closing one of the oldest school buildings, building on to the newer schools in town and shuffling the grades and attendance centers around. It kind of feels like a game of "Musical Teachers". As the numbers enrolled from grade to grade fluctuates a lot, it seems like the teachers are required to migrate around from building to building and grade to grade. Many teachers got bumped to another grade level. I was one of the fortunate ones that only got bumped to another building.

I felt lucky...until I started to pack up my classroom. Having taught in this room for three years, I had no idea how much stuff I was accumulating. Not junk, but stuff that little people need in order to learn to spell, do math and understand science.  The more I sorted and boxed, the more there seemed to be. It reminded me of one of those giant salads I order at a restaurant that seems to grow bigger as I eat.

Several days after school got out for the summer, my packing was complete and my bright and cheerful little classroom has been reduced to piles of boxes in the middle of the classroom. It's sad for me to say goodbye to Page. I feel sentimental because it's where I attended elementary school, plus all three of my children went there. This room was actually my old first grade classroom. I will miss seeing my Page friends on a daily basis. 

Change is hard, but I know change can be good. It's time to go make some new memories and Bloom where I am Planted.






No comments: