Monday, December 8, 2008

A Lesson on Hanukkah


Today I started a mini unit at school about December holidays around the world. Since the children are so excited about Christmas, it only makes sense to include the excitement of the season into something teachable. I decided to talk about Hanukkah the first day, since the class is a very homogeneous group without any religious diversity. The kids listened with interest to the book I read about the symbols and traditions of the holiday. They liked hearing about dreidels, menorahs, and latkes. One little girl wondered if a person could celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah. I explained that it is done when some families choose to celebrate both holidays because of their parents' traditions.

A little later as the class completed their paper menorah craft, I overheard one girl fibbing with authority, " My dad and brother celebrate Christmas, but my mom and me celebrate Harmonica."

I just had to walk away to keep from laughing. Happy Harmonica, everyone.

No comments: