Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day


My husband knows me so well. On Valentines Day, he surprised me with my favorite candy...chocolate covered raisins. Many women wouldn't think this was a romantic gift, but I was thrilled to pieces! He knows I'm a practical gal... I shuddered at the advertised cost of roses this Valentines Day...wondering how anyone could get $60.00 worth of enjoyment out of a bouquet?

With the current situation of the economy and our personal finances, extravagant gifts are not in the budget. But even if money was no object, Perry knows I'm a practical person. He might even tell you I've turned into a bit of a tightwad lately. It's hard for me to enjoy things that cost more than a tank of gas (keep in mind that I drive a Focus) Expensive jewelry or lingerie are SO not my thing. My husband also knows that I don't enjoy collections of figurines or other collectibles. Our life feels cluttered enough without having more "stuff" to dust around.

But I've always loved surprising the people in my family with a small little gift on February 14th. When the boys were little, I'd wrap up a puzzle or a book with red wrapping paper and set it at their place at the dinner table. The gifts have always been small, but a fun part of the celebration of the day. 

After school today, I sat at my desk, doing school work and happily nibbling my chocolate covered raisins. Perry may have thought he was only buying a $3.00 bag of Raisinettes, but simple little gifts like that score big points with me!

1 comment:

Laura B said...

A gal after my own heart! I always give my husband a can of cashews. Thea gets some fun stuff - this year it was new slippers ($4 on sale at Aeropostale), a 2009 calendar (marked down because I bought it after Jan 1), and some licorice nibs (she doesn't eat chocolate).