Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My Little Scientists


My kids at school have been so funny during science lately. We are studying solids, liquids and gases, and there have been lots of hands-on activities. These kids are like little sponges....soaking up every thing I tell them. We have melted crayons, crumbled crackers into "particles",  and tried to freeze everything from dish soap to oil. The kids watched in fascination as I dumped ice into a hot pan. After they watched it melt, boil, then evaporate, they cheered like I invented the concept of water vapor. One little girl bounced up to me and said, "You told us so many things! Now I think my head is going to pop!"

When their mittens dried out on the rack in the hall, I've never seen so much excitement. The children buzzed around enthusiastically, showing each other how the water must have gone into the air.

We lined up for lunch today, and I reminded the kids that we needed to walk quietly in the hall. One boy struck a Steve-Martin-like pose and started to slink. "Let's be liquid!" he exclaimed to the others.

Planning new activities for science can be time consuming, messy, and even expensive at times. Weeks like this make it all worthwhile, though.




1 comment:

Iowa State Fans said...

I am so glad that you have sparked interest in Science with the younger kids. My kids get NOTHING like this for a science experience and it is so sad as science really is fun :)

I loved doing experiments when I taught science....in fact we did more experiments than anything else and I feel the kids learned so much more!