Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lining Up for Lunch

I must confess that I do something unusual when lining my class up for lunch. In most classrooms, the students find the friend(s) they want to sit by and line up accordingly. The thing I HATE about this is : the same kids race to the front, the same kids linger in the back, plus the same kids tend to sit by each other day after day. I hate how early cliques can form. My heart can't take seeing the kids who repeatedly get left out, so I have developed a system of lining the class up differently each day. They are forced to sit by different "friends" each day, and no one gets left out. The kids don't always like this, but they know I'm firm about not leaving anyone out of our school friendships, so each day's line order doesn't get questioned.

This takes a little extra time, I must admit. Sometimes I dismiss them by the tables where they sit, or by the individuals who are sitting the quietest. Other times I line them up according to the colors they are wearing that day. Often, I try to make a connection to something we are learning. The students have lined up alphabetically by first name, last name. They have also lined up according to how many syllables are in their name or the month of their birthday.

We have been doing a dental health unit and talking about the proper care of our teeth, including regular brushing. My main focus with the kids is getting them into a habit of brushing twice a day. I have handed out new toothbrushes and we've made reminder signs to take home and use. We have reminded each other, clapped and celebrated for the children who are starting to remember good brushing habits.

The other day I took a chance with lining up. First I called for all the kids to get in line if they remembered to brush their teeth that morning.  It surprised me to to see six kids who stayed at their tables and waited sheepishly. I was amazed because I never would have known whether they brushed that morning or not. Then I called for the students who "accidently forgot to brush, but they promise to remember tomorrow". They hopped up and happily joined the rest of the group, ready for lunch.

Their dental health habits may be a little disgusting, but the innocence and honesty of those 6 kiddos warmed my heart! 

No comments: