Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Husband The Wife and The Wardrobe


My parents are doing some major sorting at their house and getting rid of extra furniture they don't use anymore. They had a wardrobe in their basement, and mom thought I might want it. She knows my excitement about any storage related item... so I immediately said yes! It could go in my work room and hold craft supplies or teaching materials. I might use it in the basement for out of season clothing. Joe or Ben might need it for apartment life at college someday. Over Labor Day weekend, I got busy clearing a space for the cabinet so Perry and I could go get it.

My helpful husband went to the car dealership where he works to borrow a small pickup. When we got to my parents' house, we realized that moving that huge wardrobe up the stairs would be no small job. More cumbersome than heavy, we somehow heaved it up one step at a time and carried it to the pickup. I was sweaty and covered in dirt, but feeling very smug to see that large cabinet filling the back end of the truck and knowing I'd had the muscle to manage my end. I collapsed into my seat, Perry carefully shifted gears, and we slowly rolled homeward.

Stopping at a busy intersection in town, Perry chatted on his cell phone while I considered the storage possibilities for this handy piece of furniture. We were barely across the street when we heard a sickening crash. Looking behind us, we saw the cabinet laying in pieces after being launched out of the back of the truck.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as we did a u-turn to pick up the pieces and toss them back in the truck. Passing motorists maneuvered carefully around our vehicle and the pile of wardrobe rubble, probably laughing hysterically and thanking their lucky stars they weren't in our shoes.

We returned home, chucked the pieces of splintered wood at the curb, and I called my parents to explain what had happened. Thankfully, they had a sense of humor about the whole ordeal. It might be awhile before they offer us anything else of value from their house though.

No comments: