Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Unexpected Visitor


Most churches welcome visitors with open arms, but we had an unwelcome one last Sunday morning. Our pastor had just started his sermon when I heard rounds of laughter erupting at a little mouse who had scampered onto the stage. It was boldly stealing the show while Pastor Tim considered whether to exterminate him with his shoe or try to continue. He went on with his sermon, but all eyes followed the little critter as it explored around the worship band's instruments and equipment. As a teacher, I sympathized with how frustrating it is to talk to a group when they are more interested in the distraction than the lesson.

I struggled to concentrate on the sermon about the fish and the loaves while Perry visually tracked the little critter. "It just went over the edge of the stage" he updated. I assumed it went underneath the stage to hide like a sensible mouse should, and I refocused my attention to the sermon notes. Seconds later, it was apparent that our little friend was meandering among the congregation. It was easy to spot its location by the swivel of the heads of the people in front of me.

When I noticed the people in the rows ahead doing something that looked like the wave, I knew it wasn't in enthusiastic response to the Holy Spirit. The mouse was heading toward the back of the auditorium and someone muttered, "It's coming this way." I looked down, but saw nothing but my purse and book bag on the floor near my feet.

A friend of ours had seized a paper cup and was silently walking up the aisle, stalking the little rodent. I moved the edge of my book bag and peered down hesitantly only to see a little pair of beady eyes peering back at me. That mouse apparently thought hiding behind my bags would provide just the safe haven he needed. "He's right here", I called to Mick, and he leaned down to flick the mouse into the cup. Instead the critter flipped into my purse!

Perry, Mick and I made a quick exit with my bags in tow. When I reached the grass outside, I flung my purse on the ground, then shook it until my little friend evacuated himself. Meanwhile, Perry dug through my book bag suspiciously, as if the mouse had suddenly multiplied himself like the fish and the loaves.

We returned to the auditorium, laughing about the adventure yet sheepish about the way we added to the disruption of the church service. I set down my purse (on my lap this time) and remembered my rationale when I purchased it a few weeks ago. I remembered thinking that bag would be handy to have and would hold all sorts of things... How right I was.

No comments: