Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lucy and Ethel Go Back to Campus


It's Proseminar week for my graduate program at Viterbo, which is the last week leading up to graduation. My friend Holly and I are in La Crosse, staying in the dorms and re-experiencing the angst of freshman year on a new campus.

Just getting moved into our dorm room was an adventure. We tried to pack light, but that didn't work out too well. I brought a suitcase that was bigger than me, along with a shopping bag full of necessary appliances that would get me through the week (coffee pot, reading light, fan, etc.) Holly had a smaller suitcase, but drug an enormous box with her desktop computer in it as we struggled in and out of doorways and elevators.

This is a nice dorm, but it has more doors and locks than I've ever experienced. At check in, we received a blank credit card-looking thing along with a room key on a lanyard to wear around our neck. It seemed handy enough until we approached the first door and I looked for a place to swipe my card. Holly and I studied the front and back of the card, then examined the box on the door, not sure how to proceed. It was purely by accident that I held the card in front of the box and the little red light turned to green. Coincidentally, the door unlocked at that very second :) and we had cleared our first hurdle.

Struggling in and out of the elevator with our bags, boxes and bundles, we encountered more sets of doors to unlock. I had cleverly hung my key lanyard around my neck so I felt very collegiate and most prepared to step ahead to unlock the door. It unlocked and opened without a hitch, but getting the key out of the lock while I struggled against the noose around my neck left us helpless with laughter.

Weak from the giggling struggle, we finally collapsed in our dorm room and set up for a week at college.

No comments: