Monday, July 26, 2010

The Zip Line


Being a mother of three boys, I know that our vacations are made up of different kinds of activities than other families. My kids' idea of a great vacation involves lots of activity and chasing thrills whenever possible. While we planned our Colorado vacation, I heard them discussing all the adventurous outdoor possibilities and wondered what I'd be in for.

Their first selection? Going on a zip line.

I know I could have made an excuse and stayed back at the cabin with a good book, but with my two oldest sons in college, I know family vacations like this could be getting rare. Opportunities for bonding could be few and far between, so I put on my most confident smile and assured the boys that I was up for the challenge.

We arrived at the rocky canyon and checked in, which involved signing insurance waivers and leaving all objects of value in the car. The guides walked us to the tower area and as I looked skyward to where I was about to stand, my breakfast rose in my throat. Did I really say I would do this?

Our first step was getting outfitted in diaper-like harnesses that cinched awkwardly around the hips. When the guide tightened mine, it revealed bumps and bulges that I normally work very hard to disguise. I realized with a sigh that this apparatus was designed not to minimize saddlebags, but to save my life as I flew through the air over a rocky river, so I grew a bit more fond of the get-up.

We got a safety lesson and received our helmets and gloves. At that point I looked like a trainee for the power company or a logger's apprentice. But as we began our climb to the top, I forgot all about my appearance and concentrated on making my wobbly knees propel me up the steps while not wetting my pants.

At the top of the platform, the guides began strapping people to the overhead cables. Well, it was more involved than that. I know there were pulleys and clips involved. What I do remember clearly is they seemed to begin with the most reluctant participant...me.

They pulled me up onto a wooden box (don't executioners use those?) and I heard echoes of familiar voices behind me saying, "Go mom!" All I could see was open air below me when the guide said, "Ok, go ahead." (Are you kidding me?) There is something in a person's instinct that prevents one from jumping off high platforms into the open air, regardless of cables strapped to their body, but somehow I got myself to jump off and go.

I must admit, the ride was amazing; I made it to the opposite side, and the guides unhooked me so I could climb to the other tower and ride back across. The second zip-trip was less scary. The guides probably only had to push me a little to get me off the platform.

I must say I'm glad I did this. I'm also glad someone was taking pictures of us as we flew across the river. Many friends and family members won't believe it unless they see for themselves. The pictures may also be valuable when I start school with a fifth grade class next month. I'm hoping this will move me up slightly on the coolness scale with my students.


No comments: