Saturday, July 5, 2008

20 years ago.....

Tomorrow my oldest son turns 20. It's such a weird feeling for me, to think I'm old enough to have a twenty year old child...to think I've been parenting for 2 decades."It seems like just yesterday" is an over used phrase, but one I'm using a lot as I think back to when Joe was little.

It seems like just yesterday...

He bounced up and down throughout the fireworks display every 4th of July, narrating for us..." Oooh, look! Geen one!  Oooh look, wed one!"

I was clipping coupons and debating the pros and cons of Pampers, Huggies and Luvs diapers. Joey even wore the baby blue Huggies, which was the big thing back then.

He and I would go to weekly play groups with friends of mine and babies his age.  The mommies would drink coffee and chat all morning while the kids played. Many of those kids graduated together last year and have stayed friends throughout their school years.

I was reading Good Night Moon for the umpteenth time while he sat on the potty chair.

I watched Mtv during middle of the night feedings, rocking him to the sound of Guns-n-Roses singing, Sweet Child of Mine.

We went to parent child storytime at the library for fingerplays and picture books, followed by a trip to the bakery for a treat. Come to think of it, we started going to storytimes in the "old library" even BEFORE the Ericson library built its large addition and renovated its children's department. We went to the bakery when it was still located where the Purple Crow gift shop is now.

I took him to preschool when Small Miracles was still at the Central Christian Church.

I bought his clothes from Kelly's Kids. - adorable one piece rompers and overalls with colorful appliques and personalized with his name. Many play group moms like me even bought coordinated mommy outfits. Urg.

Last night we watched the fireworks without him, as he was out of town for the holiday. When we got home, I saw that I had a text from him. It said, "ooh, ahh, red one!" 

He has no idea how much that meant to me.


No comments: