Friday, July 11, 2008

Sock Soup


Each morning, I get up early and spend a little time with Joey before he leaves for work. He has a summer job doing field work for Monsanto.

This morning, I opened the door to the garage and spotted one of the most disgusting things I've seen in awhile... a huge pile of socks that were black and soggy. Dozens of what used to be white socks,....undoubtedly saved up from long hot days in muddy farm fields. My throat slammed shut, and as I turned away to shut the door, I was thankful for an empty stomach. The question I asked was stupid, from a college boy's perspective. Joey replied matter of factly, "They were in the trunk of my car."

Moms like me recognize teachable moments, and this morning's lesson was "How to Pre-Soak Disgustingly Dirty Items of Clothing" If you drive by my house today, you'll see a large rubbermaid tub of "sock soup" in the driveway. Just roll up your windows and keep going.

2 comments:

Iowa State Fans said...

If you wash those socks in vinegar and baking soda (along with your detergent) the smell will be gone FOREVER!

Just think I have three of those coming up the ranks (boys) :) LOL

Anonymous said...

I forgot to tell you this is the summer of disposable socks! Atleast he didn't bring them into the house, right?