Saturday, July 26, 2008

Young Talent

When these guys make it big, I will tell you I knew them when. I even changed their diapers! This is a picture of my cousins playing in their band, Sofo . They live in Denver and have created quite a name for themselves in that area. I am so proud of them, and the way they have pursued this dream while balancing school and day jobs. Years ago, I remember family Christmas gatherings and hearing them noodling around with their guitars, but never dreamed the sounds they were creating would become parts of the music they play today. This spring, the boys released a CD, which I have listened to over and over. I don't understand all the songs, but I really like 4 of them. Because of them, my taste in music is expanding and I've added the word "indie" to my vocabulary! I can't wait until their touring brings them to Iowa so we can go see them in person.

This summer, I have encountered 2 other talented musicians from the Boone area. I ran into Josh Davis, a former student of mine who has been playing in his own band for a few years. His popularity is rising in the midwest and the southern midwest, and I've even heard his music played on a Des Moines radio station! After visiting with him, it was fun to go home and check out his website to hear his music and check out his tour schedule. 

A few weeks ago, I was in our church youth room and met the daughter of some fellow educators here in Boone. I didn't realize Laura's been living in New York and performing in clubs there. I was blown away by her beautiful clear voice and her style of song writing. How fun to later visit her myspace page to hear her music and find that she is performing locally while she is home for a few weeks. Perry and I visited a coffeehouse where she played and we really enjoyed it.

So what has gotten into me? Although I've always loved music, I've never been a groupie by any stretch of the imagination. In fact I don't even like concerts, due to the price of concert tickets and the claustrophobic, ADHD feelings I get when sitting in a crowded arena. Maybe my new interest in following the success of these new talented performers is because I know them. The familiarity makes attending a show much more meaningful. It's kind of like watching sports for me. I'm only a big fan when I'm watching my kids on the field. 


No comments: