Monday, March 10, 2008

Eating Out


Saturday night, Perry and I went out to eat with his brother Rick and his wife Jennifer. Rick recently celebrated a milestone birthday, so Perry wanted to treat him to a meal at a fancy steak house he'd been wanting to try. On the way to Des Moines, Perry coached me, "Don't look at the prices. Just enjoy the evening." The restaurant was gorgeous...dark cherry wood, beautiful lighting. The hostess even took our coats...what a nice service! We were seated at our table, I opened my menu and....(gasp) As my eyes scanned the selections, I remembered family stories about Perry's little old grandma, who was known to always order the cheapest thing on the menu whenever she went out to eat. I considered it, but realized Perry would make the connection. His animal loving wife hasn't eaten veal since finding out what veal really was.

The food was wonderful, but as we ate, I found myself thinking about how many groceries I could buy with the cost of this one meal. Without meaning to, I chewed extra slowly and wondered if I could calculate the cost per bite. The highlight of the meal for me was the creme brulee I had for dessert. That's an all-time favorite of mine, and it was served with a gorgeous arrangement of fruit on top that I really should have taken a picture of before eating. 

It really was a fun evening and a fabulous meal, but when we spend that kind of money on something, I feel guilty for having digested it......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One day, when you and Perry are too old to go out for dinner, you'll look back and remember the way the dessert tasted, how fun the converation was, and how special this moment was. You won't look back at "saving a nickel" as the good times.

We all deserve indulgence now and again - it is o.k. to pamper ourselves. It's a good thing to take care of Diana as well:) Remember that the next time you are feeling your "guilt".