Saturday, March 29, 2008

If I Had a Nickel....

If I had a nickel for every time I heard a little person say my name this week, I'd be a rich woman.

Getting back into the swing of things after being out of school for spring break is always a bit challenging. During break, my days were busy, but peaceful. I went for hours at a time without speaking out loud, enjoying being alone with my thoughts, and occasionally turning on some music. When I went back to school, it was back to the days when there are never fewer than 2 first graders talking to me at one time.

"Mrs. Byriel where do I put my draft book?"
"Mrs. Byriel, look at this!"
"Mrs. Byriel, he's not sharing!"
"Hey Mrs. Byriel, does 'kept' start with a c or a k ?"
"Mom, I mean, Mrs. Byriel, Do we have art today ?"

Over the years, I've become pretty good at listening to more than one child at once. I can even carry on a couple of conversations while publishing someone's draft book story. When I need to, I hold up my "stop sign" (hand), which is a silent signal I have practiced with my class to remind a child not to interrupt. This week, nothing could make these little ones wait their turn. All the excitement of spring break must have given them lots to tell me, plus they seemed to have forgotten normal classroom routines. 

At the end of the day, my ears were tired and my voice was worn out. I was so thankful to go home and not remind anyone to"Zip your lips!" or "Put your eyes on me!" I have had no patience with my son Sam's extended stories, especially when he pauses in the middle and asks, "What was I talking about?" Lucky for me, my husband hasn't felt all that chatty lately, and the older boys prefer texting to talking. Buddy and Pearl don't always listen to me, but they don't tattle on each other, either. 

By the end of the week, things at school were going smoothly again. My students and I were back into our familiar routine, most of the stories about the Easter bunny and vacations at Grandma's have already been told.

I think their jellybean-sugar buzz must have worn off.  


No comments: