Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Gift to Myself


No, I haven't been to IKEA lately, and I didn't just go to J.Jill or Target. I haven't been ordering online recently (well, not much, anyway). The gift I gave myself came from Fareway, and consisted mostly of raw meat.

Yesterday, I came home after a busy day at school, ran Sam to piano lessons, then to baseball practice. We got home at 6:00, yet still had a home cooked meal of meatballs with tomato sauce. Sounds impossible, right? The only reason we didn't make a Subway run is because I had food ready in the freezer. This is my newest attempt at saving money and my sanity during the school year.

I've been dabbling with this on my own for awhile...when I have time on a weekend, I load up on ingredients, and then make up 2 or 3 batches of something to put in the freezer for a day I really need it.

Last weekend I took it a step further and  got together with some friends from church to prepare some make-ahead freezer meals. It was fun to do it in a group. We had a good time catching up on each others' lives, and after a couple of hours, I had more than 7 main dishes fixed and ready to take home and freeze. Driving home that day, I felt so smug, knowing that on the craziest, most stressful week days, dinner would be a no-brainer.

Frozen meatballs...who knew it could be a cure for Mommy guilt?


No comments: