Sunday, April 13, 2008

It's the Dog's Chair

Doesn't every dog have his own chair? 

During my sorting and pitching adventures in the basement, I came across this chair. I used it when I taught middle school, and it made a great addition to my reading corner. The students loved any place to sit that wasn't their desk. When I started teaching first grade, I thought I would use it, but space has been a premium in my classroom, and I left it at home to avoid the inevitable squabbles it would cause with little kiddos.

Last week I hauled it upstairs and considered getting rid of it. It's faded in places and stained in others, and I've never thought it was very comfortable to sit in. On the other hand, with all the budget cuts and rearranging going on in our school district, who knows what grade I could end up teaching before long? I laughed when Buddy jumped up in it, and snuggled down in the little nest it created. Later that day. I folded it up and leaned it against the wall to get it out of my way. A few days later, I was working at the desk when Buddy started whining and driving me crazy. I couldn't figure out what his problem was. His food dish was filled and he had been outside to potty... He apparently recognized that I was a slow learner, so he went over to the folded chair, whined again and scratched at it. As soon as I unfolded the chair, he happily jumped up in it and settled in.

Of course I can't get rid of that chair now. It's Buddy's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi mom

said...

I love this story! Buddy is one smart Boston!