Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Exercising Alone?


It's no fun to exercise alone! Yesterday I tried to discipline myself and do some exercises in the living room. I had been working out regularly with a group of teachers for our school wellness program, but the coach who has been leading the work outs had to quit doing it. (He may have simply run out of patience with us. We didn't take ourselves too seriously and part of the fun was laughing and joking as we exercised!) It was such a struggle to get into the habit of working out, so I'm determined to find a way to keep going.

Anyway, I cleared a spot in the living room, put on my exercise clothes, and rounded up an assortment of make-shift weights to use. I tried to remember the sequence of exercises we'd been taught. Each time I got down on the floor to do my abdominal work, I was instantly surrounded my my dogs. Evidently seeing me struggle on the floor like that relayed some sort of doggy distress signal. They smothered me with kisses and excitedly walked back and forth across my head and chest. Then I would get up, wipe myself off and do a set of lunges or squats. But as soon as I layed back down for more crunches, they came bounding in to "rescue" me again! The last straw was when I attempted some chair push ups. As I labored to tone my triceps, the dogs happily came to help, and jumped on my lap, adding at least 25 more pounds to my efforts. I managed to finish a few sets of exercises, but it was difficult with the extra assistance from Buddy and Pearl, not to mention missing the company of friends.

Next time, I'm either going to the Y or using the doggy gates.


No comments: