Saturday, April 19, 2008

Paper Rolling Saturday Mornings

My son Sam has a paper route. He delivers our local paper 5 days a week and has been such a trooper about this responsibility through this long hard winter. He's managed his route on the ice, and in the snow as well as below zero temperatures. I told him he even provided his customers some free entertainment whenever he wiped out on the slick spots in their driveways :)

Each Saturday morning, the papers are extra thick with the Ames paper and ad inserts. He is able to manage them if they are rolled and placed in plastic bags before he takes off for his route. So every Saturday, I sit on the kitchen floor with him and we roll and bag the papers together until our fingers are black from the ink.

He and I give each other a bad time, and I tease him because I can roll 10 papers to his one. (He stops rolling every time he opens his mouth to talk!) It seems like such a drudgery sometimes, but I realize that working on projects together, side by side, is how families make memories together. When he's all grown up, I'll probably actually miss these moments.

No comments: