Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Inside Recess Game



It's the time of year when "inside recess" becomes an unfortunate part of the school routine. The temperatures plunge and the wind chills are too cold for the kiddos to play outside. That means several things. The boys and girls are not able to expend their extra energy outside which makes learning time challenging, my classroom gets trashed with stray legos, pegs, and miscellaneous game pieces, and new social conflicts arise over Candyland or the Playmobil indian set.

While the children played yesterday, I sat at my computer and  tried to catch up on some much needed record keeping for the end of the second quarter. Our school monitors reading progress with a spreadsheet chart for each class, with shaded cells representing growth over the different months of the school year. When things are going well, this chart looks like a multicolored quilt of sorts. I was updating my Record of Progress, by clicking the boxes and filling yellow and purple squares when I sensed someone watching over my shoulder.

One of my little guys had been watching me intently and came to get a closer look. "Are you playin' a game too?" he innocently asked.

Did I look like I was having THAT much fun??

1 comment:

Hollie Allen said...

I've missed reading your blog. I am finally caught up on lesson plans and had a moment to myself. I saw this picture of the charts and I cried. I didn't cry because I miss filling them in(although, that was always exciting for me)...I cried because I just registered Ashton for Kindergarten today and he is soon to be one of these kiddos being thrown into the mix of goals and benchmarks. Oh my.

Hope all is well with you. Give Sam a hug from me.

Hugs,

Hollie