Saturday, January 10, 2009

Jeans Quest

Tonight Sam and I went on a shopping adventure. Since Perry was playing poker with the guys, Sam agreed to come along and hang out with me.

I was a woman on a mission. My "good jeans" now have worn spots all over them, so it was time to begin the search for a new pair. Plus, I had a $25 North Grand Mall gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Sam's a good natured kid, but I knew I couldn't subject him to following me around various stores, and waiting outside ladies dressing rooms while I struggled and grumbled behind the door.

Tonight I let him venture off by himself for about an hour, and we agreed to meet in front of Younkers. He was pleased with this new freedom and happily took off for the arcade and video game store. 

There was no time to waste...I hurried to the first store and was faced with THOUSANDS of different pairs. Scanning the labels low rise, natural fit, slimming stretch, and contour fit gave me a false sense of security. It couldn't be that hard to find a pair that fit my body, surrounded by all these options.

I tried four pairs....then four more. Too tight... too loose....too gappy in the waist...can't get them past my thighs....who proportions these pants anyway??! !  By the time I exhausted all the options there, I'd broken a sweat from all the dressing room contortions. 

The next store presented no helpful options. I wandered through the third, wishing to find a sign that read "JEANS FOR PEOPLE WITH REAL BUTTS". Another armload of jeans...another disappointing calorie burning session in the dressing room.  I hung them all back, defeated, and thinking I'd better resign myself to a future of dumpy denim jumpers. 

Sam returned, safe and sound, from his video game adventures, and looked concerned when he saw me continuing to loop around the ladies department. Last call announcements could be heard from the overhead speakers, but I spotted one more rack of jeans. Scrambling for my size, I dashed back to the dressing room, and felt like singing the Hallelujah chorus when they actually fit.  The $48 dollar price tag made me panic but there was no time to waste. I crossed my fingers and hoped there would be some sort of discount when the clerk rang up my purchase. 

Let's just say that I got out of the mall before they lowered the metal gates for the night, with a huge sense of accomplishment and a $19 pair of jeans !!!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I truly believe jeans shopping is a form of HELL on earth.