Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Baseball Watching-Flower Planting Weekend

What an awesome weekend! 

It was a pleasure to sit on the bleachers and watch Sam's game Saturday morning. Instead of bone chilling arctic winds, it was sunny and warm. I took a hooded sweatshirt to the ball park and didn't even need it! The boys even played better in the warm weather. 

After the game, Sam and I went to the greenhouse and picked out flowers to plant. I love to wander up and down the rows and consider my options. There's something so comforting about the warm surroundings and the damp earthy smell in there. It was a big decision... petunias or geraniums; impatience or vinca. I have large planters along the front of my house, and window boxes by the back patio. We found a pretty assortment of red & white flowers to bring home.

As soon as we got home, I got busy planting. It was great to get my hands dirty, and put some colorful blooming things outside. I looked for any excuse to stay outside and soak up a bit more of the sunshine. Even picking up dog poop in the back yard didn't seem to be the chore it once was. Our quiet little street had plenty of traffic with bike riders, and walkers with baby strollers. After the long winter, many people seem to have some sort of post-traumatic stress. It's great to be outside and see everything, including people, seem to come alive again.

1 comment:

Iowa State Fans said...

Ah you reminded me to post pics I had taken on my cell phone on Friday when we visited the local greenhouse......Sounds like great minds think alike :)