Monday, May 12, 2008

Just Like the Jetsons !

Skype is one of my all-time favorite computer programs. I downloaded it for free, and we've used it for video chat with Joe while he's away at college. It does a mother's heart good to be able to see for herself that her child is doing ok.

Saturday, Joey called because he wanted to "see" the basement now that it's finished. So he got in front of his computer and we launched Skype from ours. After a few funky little dialing beeps, his face popped up on the screen. Ben was able to carry the laptop around the basement so Joey could see the new pool table as well as various views of the remodeled basement. It was so surreal to see his face and hear his voice coming from the computer screen knowing that he could see us, too!  As Ben carried it around, Joe even instructed him to "turn to the left" and "let's see the other side".

I can't help remembering the Jetsons cartoon I used to watch as a kid. I used to be so intrigued by all their awesome futuristic inventions. At the time, I remember people speculating about the possibilities of camera phones in the "future". That seemed like the most amazing idea.  As it turns out, a video phone is a pretty limited concept when I think about all the things we can actually do with the internet today.

The idea of having Rosie the Robot in my home doesn't seem as magical as I once thought, but I'd never part with my laptop!

No comments: