Friday, May 23, 2008

Field Trip

Since the budget cuts in our school district have eliminated all out of town field trip possibilities, I decided to get creative. This week I walked my class to Papa Murphy's, which is only a few blocks from our school. We are studying community helpers and I thought it would be fun for the kids to learn about the job of making and selling pizza.

My son Ben works there part time, and I was able to get permission from his school to have him join us for the tour. My students absolutely loved getting to watch him make pizza and see how the ingredients were prepped in the back room. It really grabbed my heartstrings to see my first graders looking up to a "big" teenager. They think Ben walks on water, and seeing him in a workplace created quite an impression with them. Ben got a kick out of meeting my class and seeing their excitement. He probably doesn't realize it, but he is a role model to these little people. 

Ben was a good sport to be a part of this first grade field trip, but I can't help but wonder if, in the long run, he will benefit even more from the experience than the little ones did.

No comments: