Sunday, May 4, 2008

Expecting Robins

I know it's a silly thing to get so excited about, but I've got a new robin's nest right outside my porch window!

It's been several years since a mama robin has taken up residence in my wall-mounted bird feeder. The location is perfect for raising a new family...it's protected and out of the wind, and right at my eye level for checking on them daily.

I marvel at the way their nests are created. They are so sturdy and solid. If I had to use only my mouth and the roundness of my belly to form a shelter for my babies, my family's future would be in serious jeopardy!

Right now I've caught a glimpse of an egg or two in this mama's nest, although there are usually three. She gets pretty rattled when I appear at the window. Even though I try to be discreet, she detects the movement and escapes to the nearby fence. From there, she scolds me until she feels like it's safe to return home again.

I remember from other years, the rush of happiness I felt when I discovered that the eggs had hatched and there were blobs of bald babies laying at the bottom of the nest. A few days later, I remember seeing heads stretch up with mouths open expectantly as their mother returned with food. I was amazed (yet disgusted) to see how the mother "cleans up" after them seconds after they've had a bite to eat.

They grow up, and as kids do... need to leave the nest. After awhile, the fledglings were much too big to stay, yet, I hated to see them go. I could feel its anxiety as it perched on the edge of the nest, made a lurching forward motion, then settled back down to stay home for a few more hours. The mother waited in a nearby tree, patiently coaching her young one to try its wings and move on with its little bird life.

As much time as I spent sitting by that window hoping to see that big moment, I've never been able to witness it. When I stopped by for a visit later in the day and saw that one baby had gone, I felt sad and anxious, wondering if that little one was finding food, and if it was warm enough. I scanned the yard, looking for cats or other potential predators for my new little fledgling. Ridiculous, aren't I? Imagining one could actually prevent a young bird from growing up or protect it from the dangers of the world.

Why do I spend so much time watching this little miracle happening outside my window? Why do I invest emotional energy into this small part of nature's life cycle? That robin who perches protectively on her nest this morning doesn't know it, but she and I have a lot in common.

2 comments:

Destri Andorf said...

Hi from Ames, I'm a "friend" of Melinda.. and caught your blog from the comment you left her. Anyway I was going to say.. we have a bird nest in our garage door opener thingy :( so we have to let the bird go :(. I feel bad but at the same time.. that's not the best place to build a nest anyway. But wow.. now I want to have a nest on my front porch.. so I can see the stuff that you saw :D. Anyway.. HI :D

Hollie Allen said...

Hi Diana!

We are so much alike when it comes to protecting the nature in our yard. I have not changed a bit since I was a small child trying to save every living creature that looked distressed. Each year at our house(which soon will not be our house) we get a pair of beautiful doves in our large evergreen tree and we get to marvel over the miracle of life.
I check on them daily when they hatch and then try and shoo other birds away when they are learning to fly...I even go as far as not allowing our dog to go alone.

Enjoy those birds and Ben looked so handsome...he looks like a grown-up Sam.

Love,
Hollie